Established in 2017, The Skeptical Chemist is a science communication platform based in Singapore. We publish articles that empower a wider audience with reliable and evidence-based knowledge. Our scope ranges from explaining everyday phenomena such as ‘Why is methanol toxic but not ethanol?‘ to tackling scientific issues and exposing pseudoscience.
Our commitment to the scientific method is reinforced by the rigorous fact-checking and referencing process that our articles are subject to. The news and social media outlets have the tendency to exaggerate scientific claims; being skeptics, we realize the pressing need to only publish scientifically accurate information that our readers can trust.
“Science is a way of skeptically interrogating the universe. If we are not able to ask skeptical questions, to interrogate those who tell us that something is true, to be skeptical of those in authority, then we’re up for grabs for the next charlatan – political or religious – who comes ambling along.”
Carl Sagan, Astrophysicist and Science Communicator
- May – Major website infrastructure upgrade
- January – Launch of ‘Write For Us‘ initiative
- October – Major website infrastructure upgrade
- August – First live event at Carouselland, Singapore
- November – The Skeptical Store established
- March – The Skeptical Chemist established